What Is An IPSW File On iPhone
A file with an IPSW Format is an Apple Device Update file used for iPhone, iPods, iPads, and Apple TV. It encrypts a file format to store DMG files and others like PLISTs, BBFWs, and IM4Ps.
IPSW Files are always released for the latest OS update. They are intended to add new features and fix security flaws. IPSW file can be used to restore a device to its factory settings.
We can use a site like IPSW Downloads to achieve the latest version for each device.
IPSW File Location
The file Location can vary on windows version, iOS Device, and Username. Username will be filled as default replace with your windows login username or follow the path until you find the file.
- Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
- Windows Vista & Windows 7: \Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
- Windows 8 & Windows 10: \Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\
After assessing the folder it should be in you iPhone Software Update folder.
The file location can vary on the device you wish to access. You can find it in:
Once you enter the iTunes folder the iPhone folder should be called iPhone Software Updates for example:
- ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates
How To Remove IPSW File From iTunes
You can also use iTunes to delete the IPSW file. This is a nice feature, but I’ll recommend finding the folder to delete the IPSW file instead since this can delete the older IPSW file that lurks in your hard drive, which can cause a problem if not dealt.
How To Use IPSW File To Restore iPhone With iTunes
Using the IPSW file will require iTunes to be launched, and make sure that iTunes is on the latest version.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer
- Select the iPhone in iTunes
- On Mac, Hold down the option key then select Update
- On Windows, Hold Down the Shift Key then select Update
- Choose the IPSW file that you download